Lou's Place in Cyberspace
PHOTOS OF ANTIETAM BATTLEFIELD
View of the East Woods across the Miller Cornfield. The 13th New Jersey Volunteers came out of the woods in the background moving towards this viewpoint. Their destination was the Haggerstown Pike and their "Baptism of Fire."
View towards Haggerstown Pike, (where tree line appears) from the cornfield midway from the East Woods. This is a view the troops of the 13th New Jersey would have seen as they moved towards the road. Note the ridge line indicated by the tree at center.
View north down the Haggerstown Pike. The Miller farm house is in the distance indicated by the silo center right. The monument closest to the camera is the New Jersey Monument with a sculptured likeness of Captain Hugh C. Irish at the top. It was in this road in front of the monument that the 13th NJV was first engaged in battle. The road was lined on both sides by a 6-foot high post and rail fence.
A frontal color view of the New Jersey Monument. The east woods in distant background is the area from which they emerged moving towards the viewer, across the Miller cornfield.
View of Confederate dead on the west side of Haggerstown Pike fence. In this view you can see the split-rail fence lining both sides of the Haggerstown Pike. These dead Confederate soldiers would be near the area of the Pike where the 13th NJV were first engaged. The 13th NJV would have been in the road on the right side of fence. The farm road which ran parallel to the Pike is on the left. (Library of Congress photo)
View south down the Haggerstown Pike, just opposite from the photo above. Note the marker in the lower right hand corner of this photo. This marker states that this is the actual location of the first engagement of the 13th NJV. In the distance is the New Jersey Monument.
This view is in the area behind the Ducker Church in what was the West Woods. View looking west. The church would be on the left in this photo and behind this view. The marker in the foreground indicates this was the most advanced position of the 13th NJV. This area was in the West Woods and was a densely wooded area at the time of the battle. The 13th NJV would have been moving forward into this area before you. Note how the ground slopes down, and the high ridge in the distance. That ridge continues around on both the right and left sides of this view.
View looking northwesterly across the grove towards the ridgeline. This would be the view towards the right in the photo above. The 13th NJV would have been moving from the right to left of this photo. Confederate artillery was positioned on the distant ridge, flanking the 13th on both sides. The Confederates would have been moving into this view from the left. Somewhere in the field shown in this view, George R. Harrison of Co. D, 13th New Jersey Volunteers, was killed by a gunshot to the head. His body was never recovered. He was a 17 year old youth from Centerville, New Jersey. (Now called Roseland, New Jersey)
The area shown in the previous color photo appears on this battle map indicated by the numbers 20 and 21 in red
Detail of marker
Photo of the Dunker Church three years after the battle in 1865. The West Woods is in the rear of church. Photo by Alexander Gardner.
Actual knapsack of W. Casey, Co. B, 13th
N.J. Volunteers. Courtesy the Scott D. Hann Collection.
Parts of original Regimental Flags given at Newark New Jersey Camp Frelinghuysen Tablet, Branch Brook Park, Newark N.J. 1912.
Photos-LAR, except as noted