Lou's Place in Cyberspace


THE LAST BUILDING AT PACKERTON YARDS

EXTERIOR

The exterior of this building was constructed of brick walls between vertical steel columns which were connected by the framework to the entire superstructure of the building.

In the west wall of the building were twenty-one large windows on the second floor and sixteen double windows on the first floor. Also on the west wall were three large double doors that opened to the first floor. There were also two normal sized doors with a small window next to each door that open into stairwells, being Stairwells-1 and 2.

The east and west walls had identical windows and openings for large double doors. The east wall did not have any small doors or windows since there were no stairwells on the east side of the building. There was a combined total of forty-two windows on the second floor and thirty-two windows of the first floor in the east and west walls.

The north and south end walls were similar in that both had large double doors that opened to the center of the first floor. In the rear or north wall there were two normal doorways, one opened into a small office area, Stairwell-3 and the first floor. The other doorway opened into the first floor only.

The north end had a different window arrangement than the south end of the building. At some later period, the rear wall was modified; the views in this study show the north and south walls as originally constructed.

At a later date a large air compressor was put into this building. Piping in the building does not indicate that it had air pressure pipes serving it. They may have been removed but that is not indicated. The compressor must have been for air pressure used at different locations within the railroad yard. Both items were removed in later years.

What remains on the exterior of the building is a smokestack that goes into the ground next to the first floor and into the area where the boiler was located. It would seem that a boiler for steam pressure to power the compressor was the reason for the smokestack, no other reason for its use can be found.

The smokestack was constructed high enough and with a spark suppression device to indicate that it released heated smoke and ash into the air. A wooden stand was constructed around the top of the smokestack for maintenance purposes.

 As shown in the following examples, the exterior of the building appears as when it was first built.

Ext west side
This is a view of the entire building showing the western side as it would have appeared in 1905. The Lehigh River was located on the eastern side or behind the building as shown in this view. This view also includes the smokestack which was added at a later time and existed until the building was demolished in 2007. [ Photo 1 ]



Beers 1875
This 1875 Beer’s Map of Packerton shows Packerton Yards and the Lehigh River flowing south past the rail yard towards Easton, Pennsylvania.


South end
This view shows the south end of the building as originally constructed. A ramp led up to the first floor level of the building on the west side.
To the left of the large center doors on the south wall (foreground), is a mail or order slot that used a spring return to close the door.
Running down the center top of the building is the clerestory, used to admit daylight into the building on the second floor.



South end with stack
This view of the south end of the building shows the smokestack in place.
The smokestack was added at a later date. This smokestack was in place when the building was demolished in 2007. [ Photos 2, 2A, 2B, 2C, 2D ]


South end higher angle

This view from a higher angle shows the asphalt roofing and the wooden base built for maintenance of the smokestack.


North end
This view shows the north end of the building. Note the different type and window arrangement when compared to the south end. The small door on the right opened to a small office, the first floor, and Stairwell-3.
The small door on the left opened to the first floor. [ Photos 3, 3A, 3B, 3C, 3D, 3E ]



West wall with stack
This view, looking southeasterly, shows the smokestack near the southerly end of the building. The small door in the distance is the entrance to Stairwell-1. [ Photos 4, 4A, 4B ]



Plan view
Top view of the entire building and its platform which is raised 64” above the common ground level.
 

The outer walls of the building, less the roof overhang and clerestory, measure 320’ X 72’.

Approximate height of the building was 42 feet.

Total square footage of usable space was 42,000 Sq. Ft.

Along the east side of the building (top of image) a railroad track allowed railroad cars to deliver or receive materials from the building.



[ Home ]    [ Introduction-1 ]    [  Introduction-2 ]    [ Exterior ]    [  Construction-1 ]    [Construction-2 ]    [Construction-3 ]    [Construction-4 ]    [Construction-5 ]    [ First Floor-1]    [ First Floor-2 ]

[ Second Floor-1]    [ Second Floor-2]