Lou's Place in Cyberspace


 

WANNAMAKER MILL PHOTOS

RENOVATION 3:

Home ] Up ] Renovation photos 1 ] Renovation Photos 2 ] [ Renovation Photos 3 ] Mill Agrement ] Memories of 1900 ] FITZ WHEEL ]

31   32   33  34

31-Tail race where it enters building on north side. 32-Elevator boots and clean out ducts may have emptied into the tail race located directly below them. In this photo, the floor on which the elevator boots rested has been removed and shows the boots dangling. 33-View of tail race wall which ended behind the staircase and exited the rear of the building. 34-Veiw of tail race as it was being filled-in with crushed stone. It was eventually covered over with cement.

35   36   37   38   39

35/36/37/38-Removal of mill stone's vertical drive shaft thru first floor stone bed. The original stones had been removed years earlier. This mill had two millstones side by side on first floor. The shaft for the second set of stones had been removed prior to these photos. The second set of stones was replaced at an earlier time, probably when the water wheel renovation was made, with a Sprout-Waldron Corn processing machine. The original mill stones are now located on the lawn in front of the Kresgeville Historical Society building. (See photo 42) 39-This view shows the ball end of the shaft on which the top moving stone, or "runner" once rested. This ball end indicates that this mill used what is known as a "balanced Rynd" to support the top stone.. Some Millers preferred this type of stone mounting on the drive shaft. The weight of the stone allowed the stone to rotate on the shaft, but if a problem was encountered, as the stone going out of balance, or something causing the stone to bind with the lower stationary stone, the ball allowed the shaft to slip and continue rotating rather than damage the stones or break the bevel gear teeth. It acted as a safety clutch. The teeth on the bevel gears were always made of wood, usually Apple wood, to allow the gear teeth to shear if a jam occurs rather than damage more of the valuable gear train.

41   42   43   44   45

41-Detail of ball end on vertical drive shaft. The pinion gear would have been below the floor level meshing with the large bevel gear. Here is it near the top of the shaft as it was being used to pull the shaft up and out of the stationary stone location. 42-Original stone form Wannamaker's mill, later known as Johnson's Mill. Original Mill may have been built by James Berlin, the original landholder.43-Detail of balance rynd center showing cup the ball ended shaft once engaged. 44-View showing thickness of the stone which was the upper or "Runner" stone, the stone which rotated, grinding the wheat or corn between it and the stationary stone below it. 45-A Sprout-Waldron "corn cracking and grading outfit" left intact at the mill. It is located where the second set of millstones were once positioned.

46   47   48   49

46/47/48-Views of Sprout-Waldron corn machine. 49-In-line 8 cylinder automobile engine. At one time it was used to power part of the mill. It is now buried in the tail race as fill.

All photos this page courtesy Phil Jago Construction.

Home ] Up ] Renovation photos 1 ] Renovation Photos 2 ] [ Renovation Photos 3 ] Mill Agrement ] Memories of 1900 ] FITZ WHEEL ]