Lou's Place in Cyberspace
Several hundred yards in the rear of the hotel, set in a grove of trees, is a picnic area that was known as “Snyder’s Park” and later “Snyder’s Grove”.
It contained picnic tables, fire pits and was situated along what is now known as “Jonas Creek”. This creek was the source of water and power for the hotel and the Grist and sawmills.
Water from the creek was pooled along the north side of the road, Rte 534, with some of it being directed to the Mill Pond by a sluice and culvert under the road, the main flow continued on, passed under the road and powered the “Rough” sawmill further on down the creek
The entrance to the grove was opposite the north end mill of the pond.
This area also contained a small pavilion for serving patrons, and in the summer band concerts would be provide musical entertainment for guests and gatherings.
Many large family gatherings were held there each year and it was a popular part of the Jonas Hotel experience.
Note the wooden bridge over the holding pond for the water directed to the Mill Pond.
In this view you can see the wooden bridge over the water to the park entrance, the stone culvert to the mill pond under the road is in the foreground, and the pavilion in the background. The picnic area is to the rear of the pavilion to the right in this photo.
A view of the Pavilion from the north. Note the woman on the edge of the holding pond with her hand in the water. To the right of this photo would be the wooden bridge and further down the stone culvert leading to the Mill Pond.
In this post card view, you can see the Mill Pond in the foreground, and in the rear, across the dirt road, now Rte 534, is the park entrance and pavilion. Courtesy-Fran Mabus Collection.
A large gathering in the Grove C1920.
Man on table taking photo may be Ralph Snyder.
Group of Hotel patrons posing on wooden bridge to Grove entrance. C-1910
A group of ladies sitting on the creek culvert wall, the Grove Pavilion behind them. C-1945
A letter from the Secretary of the Slatington Band, dated Sept 2, 1911 requesting a stage be constructed for the band in the park large enough to hold “30 men”
A note from a Stroudsburg Judge to Charles Snyder accepting an invitation to a picnic at the Grove dated 1913.
A Letter from the Pineforest Concert Band dated May 5th 1920. This letter requests what time the band should arrive to play, and if there will be a dance also.
This is the original sign used with the name changed from “Snyder’s Park” to “Snyder’s Grove”