[ Home ] [ Up ] [ Maps of development ] [ Documents ] [ Hoeth reports ]
The Early development of
The tract of land now known as
In order to establish the history of the properties presently known as
"Stamford Heights", it was necessary to determine who owned the land
at the earliest time in the history of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. The
earliest record of ownership of the lands surrounding and including Lake
Mineola, are from the mid, 1700’s. During this time, this area of Pennsylvania
was the western frontier of developing America, and was occupied by various
Indian tribes who lived in the Pocono Mountain area. There
were Colonial fortifications at intervals along the frontier, and in this area
were Fort Morris in what is now Gilbert, and Fort Penn in Stroudsburg. Indian
raids upon the local settlers were a constant threat, and many settlers were
being killed. These attacks were the main reason General Washington ordered an
expedition by General Sullivan into the Wyoming Valley and north into New York
State. The plan was to destroy all Iroquois villages and crops, and drive the
Indians off. His expedition became known as
"Sullivan’s March" and the route he took when he marched out of
Easton is now known as "Sullivan’s Trail", and marked with
historical markers at intervals along the roadside. The expedition stopped and
made arrangements for provisions at the gristmill that still exists on Rt. 209
The following event occurred prior to Sullivan’s
Report filed December 12, 1755 at Easton.
This raid took place Dec.10 1755 according to Michael Hute– Michael Hute,
aged 21, reported this to Colonial Authorities in Easton after the attack.
Michael was an eyewitness to this attack, and escaped.
His account begins: "Last Wednesday about 6 O’clock five Indians—"
The Hoethe family was at supper when Indians attacked the home of Fred Hoeth,
wounding a woman and killing Mr. Hoeth. They set fire
to the house, forcing Hoeth’s wife to run to the bake house, which was also
set on fire.
[The] "Poor woman ran out through the flames and ran into the water and
there died. The Indians cut her belly open and used her otherwise inhumanly.
They killed and scalped a daughter, and 3 other children were burned. Three of
Hoethe’s daughters are missing with another woman who are supposed to be
carried off. In the action one Indian was killed and another wounded."
The location of the Hoeth family residence was located in what is now
Gilbert, between route 209 and the bank of the Pohopoco Creek, near the
Chestnuthill Township border and east of Fort Norris. (See Historical Map-Monroe
County-Towanda PA. L. E. Wilt, 1944.)
Map of Hoeth Family property and massacre stories: HERE
On August 20, 1793, the Commonwealth issued two warrants to a Mary Carr, for
land to be surveyed in Chestnuthill Township.
Warrant C-26 page147 issued Aug. 20, 1793, for 409 acres and 81
perches, was surveyed Nov. 27, 1794.
Warrant C-26 page 146, also issued Aug. 20, 1793 was for 384
acres. This land was surveyed Oct. 6, 1803, ten years after the first parcel was
surveyed. This Warrant was for "400 acres of land adjoining George
Bellesfelt and others in Chest. Hill Towp". Chestnuthill Township was then a
part of Northampton County. As was usual at that time, a warrant
was issued first, and then the person wanting to purchase the land had to have
that land surveyed. The survey of the tract of land was then submitted to the
Surveyor General of the Commonwealth for approval. If approved, the Commonwealth
would issue a confirmation, and the land became the property of the person who
had it surveyed and paid the established fee of 50 Shillings per hundred acres.
Other than these Warrants bearing her name, there is no
further information regarding Mary Carr to be found. The County she lived in at
the time of the Warrant is not discernable. Research of Pennsylvania census
records and the Pennsylvania
Archives-Third series Vol. 26 page 59
indicate that Mary Carr may have been from, or
relocated to, Washington Township in western Pennsylvania. There the trail of
Mary Carr ends. For a woman to be making such a large
land purchase, at this period in history, and without a husband or some other
person ‘s involvement, indicates Mary Carr had a substantial background, or
had been well connected. Most women at that time in early America just did not
purchase large tracts of land for investment speculation. Why
she did purchase this land and for what reason, we do no know, but it is from
this Warrant, C-26 page 146, and the hand drawn survey that was
later filed, we can locate the original land tract because it contains two
One is Lake Mineola, virtually unchanged since this purchase, and the
other is McMichaels Creek. These two landmarks allow one to follow the
divisions of land surrounding these landmarks, from the original land grant up
to the present day. The sale of Mary Carr’s property
and its development over the years, presents an interesting time-line for the
development of the village of Brodheadsville. The area discussed in this paper
covers the area from the center of town at the intersection of 209 and 715,
northward to the Effort-Neola road. This area was to
later become the center of Brodheadsville and Chestnuthill Twp., containing Lake
Mineola, the Firehouse, the Municipal buildings and Township Park. The
Township incorporated in 1763, Brodheadsville being the oldest village in
Chestnuthill Twp., and was originally named Shaffer.
See Map 1, which is the survey plot also.
Mary Carr was granted a Warrant to survey land in Chestnuthill Township on
Aug. 20, 1793. Carr hired surveyors and had the survey submitted and approved on
Oct. 6, 1803. Her warrant was accepted and approved by the Commonwealth January
12, 1809, sixteen years after the original warrant was issued. Viewing
Map1, you can observe Lake Mineola in the bottom right hand corner and McMichaels
creek running through the land on a diagonal. At the point on the map where
the creek splits into two, then three streams, is the point where present day
Rt. 715 crosses the creek. This is about a mile north from the intersection of
Rts.715, and 209. This land was
surrounded by other properties owned by: John Wilson, David Kennedy, George
Bellesfelt, J. Hardy, Lawrence Hipkey, William Rofs, and Hans Christian Swarting.
This map represents the entire claim purchased by Mary Carr.
Mary Carr may have later located to Washington County, for
the Federal Census of 1790 lists a Mary Carr living there. But no further record
of her existence has been found in Northampton County or Philadelphia. The
Carr name was not a common name known to this area of Chestnuthill Township.
Warrant grant to Mary Carr. C-26 pg. 146, Warrant
dated August, 1793., Land was surveyed Oct. 6 1803.
Accepted Jan.12 1809, Recorded Jan.
8, 1812. 384 � acres
Rear view of Grant.
The dotted lines show the survey print-through and are not on
Mary Carr Warrant dated August 20, 1793
This Warrant permits the land to be surveyed prior to being approved by the
State. Note that the warrant states that the purchase is accepted "provided
the land is not within the last purchase made of the Indians" The
purchase price of this land was "fifty shillings per hundred acres"
Four hundred acres were applied for, but this was later
surveyed at 380 acres.
This "Beers" map of "Early Landholders" in Monroe County
is located in the Monroe County Deed Room in Stroudsburg. The outline of the
Mary Carr tract is marked but the location of Lake Mineola is somewhat
inaccurate, and out of scale. At the time of her
purchase Brodheadsville was then called Shafers.
This 1839 map shows the town name as Shafers.
Map 2 & 3, 1793 & 1796
Map 2 & Map 3 shows the development of the
two parcels of land that abutted the Carr land on the line that runs 10 deg.
North, which is along the right side of MAP 1. There
is a particular notch and angle at this location that helps identify the parcels
that join here. Adam Huffsmith purchased these
parcels, called "Eden" and "Harford", and went on to
purchase a great deal of land in this area. Adam Huffsmith purchased large parts
of the Carr tract by bidding at Sheriff Sales. The
Huffsmith’s lived in this area until the mid 1860’s after which they are no
longer active. Their early records show the name as being "Hoofsmith"
then later as "Huffsmith". Adam Huffsmith
granted permission for a dam to be constructed on one of his properties. The
millpond on McMichaels creek was to feed a mill that was located at the location
where McMichaels creek now passes under rt. 715. This mill was known as the
Wagner Mill, and the property as the "Mill Lot." This
Mill site was destroyed when Rt. 715 was cut through in the 1930’s. It was
about 1 mile north of the 209/715 intersections on 715. Jacob
Huffsmith originally purchased much of this land in 1817 (Map 3). See also plot
2 and plot 3.
Map1, 1812, & Plot 4
Mary Carr sold her land intact to a George Levers on Jan 3, 1812. The survey
is almost exactly the same as her original survey of Oct. 1803 and is for 384.75
acres. The line bordering William Rofs land was shortened by 54 feet from the
original (S18� E)
Map 4, Plot 5-1814
4 Plot 5
George Levers sells the original Carr tract plus some other parcels he owned
to Frederick and John Siglin in 1814. The boundaries in green are the original
Map 5, and Map 6, Plot 6 and Plot
7 show the development of the Carr tract and surrounding lots.
Map 7, Plot 8-1837
In 1837 Frederick and John Siglin sell a portion of their property to Jessie
Siglin. This was also part of the original Carr tract. Map
7 shows this parcel included in the overall development of the original Carr
tract, which is outlined in green.
8A- Rt.715 and 209 intersect at he lower left
corner of this plot. The lower left corner of this lot is presently occupied by
the Wawa convenience store.
Showing original Carr tract plus land of Frederick, John, and Jessie Siglin,
and Adam Huffsmith.
Plot 9 is dated 1848 shows the development of the north corner of the
Carr tract in 1848.
9 Plot 10
This map shows the development of the Carr and surrounding tracts as they
were in 1860.
Plot 10 dated 1856 shows the western edge of this property when Jacob
Huffsmith sold it to Charles Laufer.
9A Plot 9A
This map shows the continued development of the Carr and surrounding tracts
as they appeared in 1861.
Plot 9A is included at the apex of Map 9A. Plot 9A is dated 1861.
Map 10 shows two parcels of land. A tract sold
to Jacob Huffsmith Jr. by the estate of his father Jacob Huffsmith Sr.
containing a little over 23 acres. The smaller portion
is called the "Mill Lot" This lot contained a working
"gristmill", including the mill race, and possibly a shop with a
turning lathe and circular saw, This lot was sold to Charles Laufer and John
Wagner. After this sale this mill came to be known as "Wagner’s
Mill". This lot was the subject of an "Agreement" for the rights
to build and maintain a dam and millpond for the mill that was to be built
AGREEMENT" or "MILLS OF
The long rectangular section at the bottom of the Mill Lot allowed access to
the lot because the old road entered from that location. This rectangular
"handle" of the "Mill lot" starts about 100’ north of the
present entrance to "Stamford Heights" The left edge of the "Mill
Lot" runs along the westerly side of the creek. This extension also allowed
for the property rights for the tail race of the mill where it enters the creek
. This "Mill Lot" was a part of a parcel of
land sold by Sheriff sale. Sheriff Andrew Storm the local justice-of-the-peace,
had to sell part of the lands owned by Frederick Siglin due to a Fieri Facias
debt of $100.71. This parcel was for 291+ acres. The
deed reads:" 50 acres cleared, 2 acres of meadow" and it further
describes, "1 log house, 1 � story log stable, and 50 apple trees".
The log house, 1 � story stable, and the 50 apple trees closely match the
buildings still existing on the property now known as "Stamford Heights
Farm" located on Rt. 715 where the creek crosses under the road. There
still exists a number of old apple trees on that property which may be the same
trees mentioned in the Sheriff sale. (See Mill Lot Photos) In
his will, Jacob Huffsmith gave his son Abraham a parcel of 100 acres. Abraham
Huffsmith had a large family and died in 1866, two years after his father.
From a reading of Jacob Huffsmith’s Will, it seems clear
that he was concerned that his son may not survive him, and made provisions in
it for his sons children, Jacob’s Grandchildren. Abraham Huffsmith was married
to MaryAnn Rinker, but she is not mentioned after this date.
See Illustration map for how this area looked:
Plot 11 shows the larger tract of land abutting the "Mill Lot."
Plot 12 shows the land presently occupied by the Chestnuthill Municipal
Park as it appeared in 1864.
11 Shows development of land surrounding the "Mill Lot"
Plot 13 shows the "Mill Lot" survey, and shows a Lewis Decker
owning the land to the north. View of Mill lot laid over
period map of McMichaels Creek:
An agreement between Jacob Huffsmith Sr. and Lewis Decker allowed for a dam
to be constructed across part of the Decker property to form a millpond to power
a mill. This agreement specified the dam size and rights of access for
maintenance. This agreement is filed in the MISC.
book Vol. 1 page 472 in the Records Room at Stroudsburg Courthouse. See
shows the "Quit Claim Deed" for land that was later to become the
"Stamford Heights" development.
shows the configuration of the land owned by Jacob Huffsmith’s at the time of
his death in 1864.
This deed was for the land owned by Abraham Huffsmith, which was left to him
by his fathers will. This also shows the Mill Lot and
the "Public Road" which was to later become Rt. 715, and the property
to the south, which was to become the Municipal Park. Also
note that C.D. Brodhead owned a strip of land stretching from the location of
his hotel (now Brodheadsville Inn) to almost the bottom line of what is
presently "Stamford Heights"
Plot 14 shows the land willed to Abraham Huffsmith by his Father Jacob
Huffsmith Sr. This Quit Claim Deed states
"Regarding Will of Jacob Huffsmith for extra 100 acres of land taken
from land near the pond and C.D. Brodhead."
There was a slight closing error with this deed, which may have been a
clerical error when it was recorded.
Map 14 shows
the extent of lands owned by C.D. Brodhead and Daniel Brown (a business partner)
This property ran from Rt.209 (Easton/Wilkes-Barre Turnpike) to part of the
southern line of what is now "Stamford Heights"
Brodhead sold his store and hotel to Linford Heller in 1865. J.
Stozz later purchased the store in 1886. Brodheadsville Tavern and Hotel is now
the Brodheadsville Inn. Also shown are the lands of
Frederick Siglin. The boundary between the properties was a "Public
Road" later to become Rt. 715. A part of the "Mud Lake" was
filled-in to make the area presently used by the Firehouse. The
lower left corner of Siglin’s land is where the WaWa convenience store is now
located. Siglin’s barn existed until the early 1990’s when it was torn down
to expand parking at the WaWa convenience store.
Plot 15 shows more detail of the C.D. Brodhead property, which was
originally sold to Brodhead by Daniel Brown and Joseph Keller.
Plot 16 Plot 17
Plot 16 shows the land granted to the Zion Church by Michael Getz for a
"burial ground". This plot is the "Old Brodheadsville
Cemetery" located across Rt. 209 from the Zion Church. This
church was built in 1861 and the weather vane above the steeple is marked with
this date. Plot 17 shows the Deed of Trust for the property of the Zion
Church. Michael Getz granted this property to the church. This was recorded
August 21 1862, but the actual building was constructed in 1861.
This map shows the development of the Lewis Decker property north of Stamford
Heights. Daniel Brown and Joseph Keller sold this property to Lewis Decker in
1848. The Decker Estate then sells this land to Henry
Siglin in 1868.
Plot 18 shows detail of the property shown in green on Map 15.
Plot 19 shows detail of the large tract shown in Map 15.
Plot 20 shows further transactions of the same property as Plot 18 for
the year 1912.
Plot 21 shows the further development of Plot 19 for the year 1947. G.
Pelez lived here till her death in the early 1990’s. Her house was the
original Henry Siglin house with later modifications.
This map shows the total land holdings of Jacob
Huffsmith Sr. (deceased) and Jacob Huffsmith Jr. circa 1870.
On September 28 1874 the Orphans Court in Stroudsburg sells the land
inherited by Abraham Huffsmith’s children.
In their grandfather’s Will (Adam Huffsmith), it was stated that the land
was to be held until all the children had all reached legal age. By 1874 one
child was still only 10 years old. The older siblings felt the land was going to
lose its value if they waited another eight years until she reached legal age.
The executer and guardian of the children claimed that the buildings on the
property were becoming dilapidated and unfit to live in and the land wasn’t
being farmed. It was felt the value of the land was rapidly decreasing. The
Orphans Court decided it was best to sell the property and give the proceeds to
the Huffsmith children. The Orphans Court held an
auction on the property and Joseph Bond "was the highest bidder" and
claimed the land.
Map 16 shows the entire area covered by these
deeds researched for this project and its development from the original Mary
Map 17 shows the entire area covered by these
deeds researched for this project and its development from the original Mary
Carr Tract, including the dotted-in lines of the original early roads in their
Map 18 1973/1988
Shows the development of the land
purchased by Anthony Sabia from Olive P. Bond in 1973 and its subsequent
development by the Patton Corporation of Vermont, into the Stamford Heights
Plot 22 Shows the tract of land owned by Olive P. Bond that was sold to
Anthony G. Sabia in 1973.
Several members of the Bond family had inherited an interest in the property
with the passing of Joseph Bond July 28, 1921 and then his wife July 26 1925.
Joseph Bond had purchased this land from the Orphans Court sale in 1874. When
Olive P. Bond decided to sell this property she had to appeal to various family
members to give up their interests and pass their title to Olive Bond. All
the parties, mainly William A. Bond, Marian E. and Sara R. Bond and Elizabeth M.
Place, signed a quitclaim deed and passed the title solely to Olive P. Bond, who
then sold this property to Anthony Sabia. The text of
this deed makes reference to several former landowners who owned the surrounding
properties but had long since died or had sold their property to others. Lewis
Decker had owned the "Mill lot" property prior to 1860 and C.D.
Brodhead, after whom the village was named, had left Brodheadsville in the 1850’s
relocating to Stroudsburg. Anthony Sabia retained a
part of this tract of 100 acres, and then sold the remaining 91.48 acres to the
Patten Corporation in 1988. It was from this tract of
land, which was sold to the Patten Corp. that the development of Stamford
Heights finally emerged.
23 On March 23, 1988 Anthony Sabia sells 91.48 acres to the Patten Corporation,
a Vermont land developer, who planned to put a development of "Executive
estates" on the land. This was to be one of the
exclusive real estate sites in the community and was to be kept in its pristine
condition by a series of covenants protecting the development’s land use.
There were to be no outbuildings, fences, above ground pools, sheds, trailers,
etc. This was an attempt to keep the land in its original condition. Almost
all of the purchasers of the lots making up the development of Stamford Heights
have accepted and complied with these covenants, making the development one of
the nicest in Chestnuthill Township. Those owners not complying with the
covenants may be subject to action taken by any individual landowner or group of
landowners to enforce the agreed upon conditions as stated in the original
covenants. It is these covenants that the Patten Corporation and Anthony Sabia
had put in place, which will preserve the beauty of the location and keep the
property values viable by not allowing landowners to corrupt the scenic beauty
with dilapidated or unsightly structures.
shows the original Sabia purchase of
1973 with the overlay showing the track that was sold off to the Patten
Corporation in 1988. Anthony Sabia retained a portion of this land which has
several houses located on it. The white house fronting on Rt. 715 near where
Rt.715 crosses over the creek was the home of Olive P. Bond for many years. The
several houses on this land are rental properties and this tract of land is
presently known as "Stamford Heights Farm." It abuts Rt.715 and the
northeasterly ridge of "Stamford Heights"
Plot 25 shows the original property owned by Abraham Huffsmith sold by
his trustee Charles Huffsmith to Joseph Bond in 1864. Joseph
Bond dies July 28, 1921 and his wife July 26 1925. Their interest in this land
passes to his heirs, and his sister Olive P. Bond makes this her home. Olive
P. Bond then sells this tract to Anthony Sabia in 1973. Anthony
Sabia sub-divides this property and sells 91.48 acres to the Patten Corporation
Mid-Atlantic, a Vermont land developer, who subdivides 73.03 acres into lots
"to become known as Stamford Heights a plan of 46 residential lots."
The original subdivision was approved May 12, 1987 and
revised July 8 1987. Original planning commission approval July 17, 1987.
Township supervisor’s approval August 4, 1987. The plan was further modified
and final subdivision approval is dated December 8, 1987.
Grave of Abraham Huffsmith
Jacob Huffsmith, died in 1864, and was the father of Abraham Huffsmith. The land presently known
as Stamford Heights was passed to his son Abraham by his will. Abraham died two
years later in 1866, leaving his 100+ acres to his 10 children.
Abraham was the last of the Huffsmith family to own the land presently known
as "Stamford Heights". After Abraham died in 1866 his property was passed
to his 10 children and was not to be sold until his youngest child reached
maturity. The older siblings later petitioned the Orphans Court in Stroudsburg
to sell the land since it was falling into disuse and losing value, and would
lie fallow another 10 years before the youngest child reached maturity. The
court agreed and the land was sold at auction to Joseph Bond in 1874.
[ Home ] [ Up ] [ Maps of development ] [ Documents ] [ Hoeth reports ]