Lou's Place in Cyberspace


Home ] Up ]

 

MAP 1

This map shows the original tract of land purchased by Mary Carr from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in 1793. It clearly shows lake Mineola in the lower right hand corner and McMichaels Creek cutting through the center of the property. The area where the creek splits into two streams is where the present Rt. 715 crosses the creek.

MAP 2

This map shows the property which bordered the Carr tract (called vacant land here) on the northeast along the line (N 10 E) of property owned by George Bellesfelt and north of David Kennedy as shown on Map 1. This property would be in the vicinity of the Cottontail Lane/Silver Valley Road intersection.

Map 3 June 12,1817

Development of the properties called “Eden”, 1796, and “Harford”, 1793. Their southern line is approximately the location of Cottontail Lane.Jacob Huffsmith’s purchase of 1817 is outlined in green on left, encompassing most of “Eden”

MAP 4 1814

This map shows the property which Mary Carr sold to George Levers and surrounding properties. Levers then sell this land to Frederick and John Siglin in 1814. Prior to this sale, Levers had added some property to the original Carr tract. The original Carr tract is outlined in light green.

Map 5, 1817

Development of land surrounding Carr tract.

Map 6, 1817

Further development of land surrounding Carr tract. Showing “Harford” and “Eden” locations and division.

Map 7, 1837

Further development and subdivisions of land surrounding the Carr tract. Original Carr tract shown in light green.

Map 8, 1848

Further development of land surrounding Carr tract. Note subdivisions to the north. Original Carr tract shown in light green.

Map 9, 1860

Further development of land surrounding Carr tract. Note subdivisions to the southwest. Original Carr Tract shown in light green.

Map 9A, 1861

Further development of land surrounding Carr tract. Note reconfiguration of the land on the northern end. Original Carr Tract shown in light green.

Map 10, 1864-65

Division of Jacob Huffsmith’s property. This map shows the sale of the lot known as the “Mill Lot” to Charles Laufer and John Wagner in 1865. Note that the land to the left of the Mill Lot is owned by Abraham Huffsmith. This land will eventually become Stamford Heights.

Map 11, 1864/65

This map shows the development of land to the east of the Mill Lot. Most of this land was owned by the Jacob Huffsmith estate and land owned by Jessie Siglin. These properties were once part of the original Mary Carr tract of 1793.

Map 12, 1864/65

This map shows the development of the land owned by Jacob Huffsmith’s at the time of his death in 1864. The land shown in red, owned by Abraham Huffsmith, is the land that will eventually become “Stamford Heights”, with some minor modifications. These properties were part of the Mary Carr tract of 1793.

Map 12A, 1864/65

This map shows the configuration of the land owned by Jacob Huffsmith’s at the time of his death in 1864. The large parcel of land to the west of the Mill lot was inherited by Abraham Huffsmith from his father Jacob Huffsmith, who provided in his will that Abraham should receive 100 acres, with the land ”taken from  near the pond and C.D. Brodhead. Abraham died in 1866 and passed it on to his 10 children, The land owned by Abraham is the land that became “Stamford Heights”, with some modifications. These properties were part of the original Mary Carr tract of 1793.

Map 13, 1870

This map shows the configuration of the land owned by Jacob Huffsmith at the time of his death in 1864, and land owned by his son Jacob Huffsmith Jr. This map is a detailed view of the northeasterly corner of the land shown on MAP 9A.

Map 14-Center of Brodheadsville

  This map shows the configuration of the land owned by C.D. Brodhead on the left, and land owned by W. Serfass on the right. In the lower left corner of the Serfass property is the site of the present day WaWa convenience store. Some of the mud lake was filled-in and is where the firehouse is now located.

Map 15-Further development of lands formerly owned by C.D. Brodhead and Lewis Decker

This map shows the configuration of the land owned by C.D. and Lewis Decker between 1865-1868. This property is located on the northern line of Stamford Heights and extends beyond Effort-Neola Road. Note the corner marker in the center of the tract, “post in road” indicating a road was in this area and may be part of present day Effort-Neola Road. See also MAP 9, northern end of plot is same area, but less divided.

Map 16-1793-1912  Development of land north of Route 209 and along Rt. 715.

This map shows the configuration all the various plots of property between 1793 and 1912. The “Turnpike Road” is present day Rt. 209 at the bottom. The original Mary Carr tract from 1793 is outlined in light green. Also note locations of McMichaels Creek and Lake Mineola. This map shows how the property masses were changing owners and contour.

Map 17-1868-1912 Development of land north of Route 209 and along Rt. 715.

This map shows the configuration all the various plots of property between 1868 and 1912. Present day Rt. 715 runs through the center of this map starting from the bottom and is shown as a black dashed line. The Effort-Neola Road is shown by a black dashed line, in its approximate position a little above center of this map. The “Turnpike Road” is present day Rt. 209 at the bottom. The original Mary Carr tract from 1793 is outlined in light green. The area to become Stamford Heights is outlined in red, center left. The words “original Mary Carr tract”, in green, help locate it. Also note locations of McMichaels Creek and Lake Mineola.

Map 18, 1973-1988 Development of Stamford Heights property.

This map shows the configuration of property purchased from Olive P. Bond by Anthony Sabia in 1973. In 1988 Anthony Sabia sells a portion of this property to the Patton Corporation, a land developer based in Vermont. Patton Corporation develops the area outlined in green into the present day Stamford Heights development.  

This Geological Survey Map shows the original Carr Tract of 1793 in red, and the Stamford Heights development of 1988 in blue. Outlines are approximate.

Home ] Up ]